Thursday, October 11, 2007

Oh the things I never thought...

no junk_edited-1

May I start by dedicating this to my dear Aunt Natalie...

Long ago in my youth (Ya, I am pretty old now!) I thought maybe my Aunt Nat was crazy (sorry auntie!) I mean c'mon, she would not let her kids watch Ninja Turtles! I remember things from when I lived with her that made me think, hmmmm that is strange. BUT may I stand completely corrected and completely converted to what I thought was "the dark side"

Let me describe the parent I never thought I would be:

1. Married to a schedule, following it religiously!

2. Aiden in bed by 8-8:30pm and myself in bed not long after.

3. Packing healthy lunches

4. No guns, fighting shows, toys or behavior allowed

5. A positive discipline parent

6. Reading the classics (Aiden and I are currently reading "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett

7. Watching TV little to none for myself and Aiden

8. Anti video games

These are just a few things that come to mind, I am sure there are so many other things that I just never thought I would do when I was a parent.  Of course I was one of the many who said "when I have kids... " OR "I am not going to do... like my parents"

I feel really lucky that I have been able to read just the right books and meet just the right people to help teach me and prepare me to be the best mom I can, a better mom than I ever imagined I would be and trust me I still need to do better! It's a blessing that I get to practice all day on other people's children at school and also teach other parents and employees how to do it, it helps me be prepared to come home and be "supermom".  Being a mom is THE hardest job on the planet, and that doesn't even begin to sum it up!

So dear Aunt, I love you and NOW I understand.

And to understand JUST how weird and different I am from long ago for my birthday this year I actually asked for and received this...

                                  DICT-2T

And I think it is awesome! Yes ladies and gentleman I am MUCH different than I ever imagined growing up to be.  What a relief!

No comments: